Col Michael A. Comstock is the Commander, 143d Airlift Wing, Quonset State Airport, North Kingstown, Rhode Island. The mission of the 143d Airlift Wing is to serve as the premier C-130J combat airpower and cyber center of excellence meeting all federal and state support requirements while providing maximum assistance to our national and international partners. The 143d Airlift Wing employs 8 C-130J Super Hercules aircraft globally and is comprised of 1100 military and civilian personnel.
Col Comstock is a 1986 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. Upon completing pilot training at Williams Air Force Base, Arizona in 1987, he was assigned to fly C-130s at Little Rock AFB, Arkansas. He has served as a C-130 Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot, Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Tactics, Foreign Exchange Pilot to the Italian Air Force, Wing Executive Officer, Chief of Standards and Evaluation, Chief of Wing Safety, Airlift Squadron Commander, Wing Inspector General and Airlift Wing Vice Commander. He is a graduate of the Advanced Airlift Tactics Training School at St. Joseph, Missouri, and has compiled over 7,000 flying hours in C-130E, C-130H, and C-130J aircraft.
Col Comstock is a veteran of Operation DESERT SHIELD, Operation DESERT STORM, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. He has flown in support of operations in Africa, Bosnia and throughout Southwest Asia.
1986 Bachelor’s Degree, Human Factors Engineering, US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1993 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Defense Language Institute, Italian Language Course, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
1998 Master’s Degree, Aviation Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
2013 Air War College
2015 Air Command and Staff College
1. July 1986-August 1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 82d Student Squadron, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. August 1987-June 1990, Co-Pilot, C130E, 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. June 1990-February 1992, Aircraft Commander, C130E, 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. February 1992-May 1993, Instructor Aircraft Commander, C130E, 50th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. May 1999-January 1994, Student, Defense Language Institute, 311th Military Training Squadron, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
6. January 1994-July 1996, Foreign Exchange Pilot, C130H, 50th Gruppo, Pisa, Italy
7. July 1996-October 2000, Instructor Aircraft Commander, C130E, 53d Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
8. October 2000-April 2005, Instructor Aircraft Commander, C130E, 143d Airlift Squadron, Quonset Air National Guard Base, R.I.
9. April 2005-June 2012, Chief of Standards and Evaluation, 143d Operations Group, Quonset ANGB, R.I.
10. June 2012-October 2013, Chief of Wing Safety, 143d Airlift Wing, Quonset ANGB, R.I.
11. October 2013-January 2016, Commander, 143d Airlift Squadron, Quonset ANGB, R.I.
12. February 2016-September 2016, Inspector General, 143d Airlift Wing, Quonset ANGB, R.I.
13. October 2016-January 2018, Vice Commander, 143d Airlift Wing, Quonset ANGB, R.I.
14. January 2018-Present, Commander, 143d Airlift Wing, Quonset ANGB, R.I.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 7,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-130E, C-130H, C-130J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device with silver leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with three bronze stars
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short with oak leaf cluster
AF Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border with four oak leaf clusters
AF Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with three 'M' devices and silver hourglass device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
AF Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major February 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2005
Colonel October 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2018)